Monday, June 8, 2009

New Glarus Unplugged Iced Barley Wine

I thought I would use the blog to post some reviews of different beer that I can revisit later after cellaring them for some time. The first one I am starting with is New Glarus Unplugged Iced Barley Wine. This beer is 13.5% ABV and is more like a liquor than a beer.

The label states, "English aristocracy flaunted their wealth saving barley wines from exclusive friends. Our Iced Barley Wine is an intense brew of 28.5 degrees Plato OG. Frozen in the cellars over a powerful twelve week fermentation. You hold an elegant riot of bittersweet sherry and dark fruit earthy notes. Warm and expansive, it will fill your senses. Great for contemplative sipping now or lay down for an elegant occasion with friends."

I thought I would do both mentioned above. I am contemplatively sipping on one right now and have two in the cellar for that elegant occasion. Below is my current review from tonight.

This one pours a clear, dark ruby red with a quarter inch eggshell head that receded to a thin ring. The smell is sweet malt and booze. Digging deeper into the aroma one might pick up dark rum, overripe dark fruits, and spicy, earthy hops. The taste is sweet and boozy. The fruits and rum come to the front and the booze and spiciness of the hops tickle the top of the throat. Mouthfeel is oily and the carbonation tingles on the tongue and down the throat. The drinkability is lowered due to the large alcohol content. This one is definitely a sipper.

No comments:

Post a Comment